[Magdalen] New Jersey ain't purty

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon Mar 9 14:23:34 UTC 2015

>It is true that Red Bank and thereabouts were prettier than the north, but
>I interviewed in Glen Rock (north -- dio. of Newark), and it was a lovely
>little town.

I dunno. Traveling north toward the Pompton and Wanaque reservoirs is simply a
lovely trip,

And I love Greenwood Lake (half in New Jersey, half in New York). If I could see
to drive, I probably would have retired there.

I remember 40  some year ago there was a dance bar straddling the border.
Eighteen year olds could be served at the bar on the New York Side, but the bar
on the NJ side required a patron to be 21.  NJ spent years trying to shut it
down, but were unsuccessful until the feds imposed a nation 21-year old law on
the nation.

In any case -- Greenwood Lake is almost like living living on a lake in Maine --
but with commuter buses to NYC <g>.

Most of Sussex and Warren Counties are quite nice as well, though the dairy
industry has mostly petered out. Warren County is where the New Jersey Sierra
Club has decided to fight expansion of rail commuter service, including support
of widening I-80 through the county and even through the sensitive Delaware
Water Gap. The Sierra Club believes rail encourages sprawl, but widened highways
do not.

And some people actually believe the Sierra Club has something to do with
environmental conservation.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie