[Magdalen] FB this morning, possibly TMI

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Mar 9 17:07:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 9, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Grace Cangialosi  <gracecan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I watched the opening service  online a couple of weeks ago, and I had a
> similar reaction, though I'm  trying to reserve judgment till I see it
later
> this week. A hopeful  note was that one f the speakers said there were
still
> pieces to be  put in place, including some hangings and the organ. There
was
> a post  on FB over the weekend of the Oratory which contains the four
> stained  glass windows saved from the old chapel.  Still appears rather
>  sterile.>>>>

In regard to the size of the sanctuary at the new VTS Chapel, I don't
suppose
they need room for Solemn High Masses  :-)

It is interesting to compare the layout to, say, Bruton Parish Church
in Colonial Williamsburg, VA.  There the altar it tiny, and the  pulpit
gigantic.  However, I would never call this Church boxy and  bland
white, even though it is mostly white inside.  There is enough  detail
of architectural interest to make it all very beautiful.

And I did go to what amounted to a High Mass (not solemn because  there
was no incense) of Maundy Thursday there.  There were two  assisting
ministers in white along with the celebrant.

It was so reverently done that even my wife, not noted for liking  church
services, was impressed.

David Strang.