[Magdalen] Cowboy pizza.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:12:09 UTC 2015

Pizza in Madison, WI in the 1950s was dispensed primarily from a
neighborhood in the environs of Regent and Park Streets which my dad and
others often referred to as "Spaghetti Corners" due to the multiple Italian
restaurants and grocery stores in the area. There were outliers, such as
Lombardino's farther west, Namio's farther south on Park St., and the
campus area pizza places Paisan's and the Italian Village, but that was the
heart of the Italian community and the northern end of what was known as
Greenbush, or more familiarly The Bush, the immigrant community of Madison,
heavily Italian and Jewish with a sprinkling of African-Americans and a few
other nationalities. That neighborhood was "urban renewed" in the early
1960s and I think Madison has kind of regretted doing that ever since.
Stories, photos, and even a book of recipes from The Bush have been
collected and preserved, and it is now considered a badge of honor to have
grown up there.