[Magdalen] Rhubarb cookies

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 02:47:16 UTC 2015

We had a clump of rhubarb out behind the garage of the house in Madison,
WI, where I grew up. It was there when we moved in, so who knows how old it
was. In any case, my mother not only made wonderful rhubarb pies, but
canned rhubarb sauce, which we ate throughout the winter (and it's pretty
good over vanilla ice cream, too). We kids also ate the stalks raw,
sprinkled with sugar (it took a LOT!) in summer. When I visited the house
in 2001, I forgot to see if the rhubarb was still there. I was never able
to grow rhubarb in Tennessee. I'd try it here, but it probably doesn't like
black walnut trees.

Around Madison, it was known as "Norwegian Ex-Lax".