[Magdalen] RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 16:38:14 UTC 2015

Yes indeed, and this is what is interesting to me - because you would not
die from Alzheimer's directly but from kidney failure, pneumonia,
septicaemia or whatever, as behavioural and then physiological systems
falter and shut down.

And in our health system, if a doctor is called in, vigorous treatment
would commence and in most cases a younger patient would survive until the
next thing comes along because their organs are in good shape and they have
reserves.

Patients with life limiting conditions or who have been very ill for a long
time can be officially declared "not for resuscitation" if they crash, but
I haven't yet seen a situation where a drip or an antibiotic would not be
given, and in quite a few cases its gone beyond tthat, with insertion of
feeding tubes and even use of a ventilator.

Full-on nursing care with regular observations and turning is also provided
and not uncommonly we see scans and X-rays being done, patients turned on
their tummies to help them breathe (a desperate and rarely successful
measure) as well as a crazy sequence of antibiotics. This reflects an array
of circumstances and pressures - financial, emotional, clinical, ethical,
and even societal in terms of whose life will be fought for and whose will
not.

The best practice is to have a Palliative Care team in every hospital,
working alongside the regular doctors and effecting a seamless transition
that involves patient and/or family, nursing staff and medical staff all
working together to obtain the best possible outcome. Most hospitals can do
it - no extra staff need be employed, you just have to identify the people
who really care about this and equip them to play that role. But our
medical culture i.e. "my patient, my responsibility", does not favour a
team approach even when lip service is paid to that. This is in the Private
sector; the State sector here is mostly too overwhelmed, so we have the
opposite problem, needless loss of patients who could be saved with the
correct interventions.

As you can see, I think about this a lot and find these situations very
troubling!

Sally D