[Magdalen] RIP Sir Terry Pratchett

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 17:52:51 UTC 2015

​I wonder if anyone would refer to the palliative care team?

I recall listening to a lecture by Kuebler-Ross. She was instructing some
nursing students, and they got the idea of looking at cases of terminal
patients.  Everywhere they inquired, however, the answer was the same: "No
one is dying on this ward." This despite the fact that at that facility,
there were a significant number of deaths on a daily basis.  This sparked
the idea of looking into death and dying. In the few cases I have been
familiar with, hospice services were called for when the patient was within
a day or two of death, and it was utterly pointless. Things are better in
that regard, I'm sure.  But I'm also sure that some induhviduals will
simply refuse to admit the patient might be terminal until they cannot find
a pulse.  I guess it's a natural defense mechanism, but still ...

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford

​