[Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

Roger Stokes r.s.stokes.65 at cantab.net
Fri Mar 13 18:10:40 UTC 2015

------ Original Message ------
From: "Kate Conant" <kate.conant at gmail.com>
To: Cantor03 at aol.com; "magdalen at herberthouse.org"
<magdalen at herberthouse.org>
Sent: 13/03/2015 14:38:54
Subject: Re: [Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

>When I was at St Andrew's-on-the-Mount we never even had a choir. We
>usually said the Psalm responsively by half-verse. (Other churches in
>the
>Nelson Cluster often said it responsively by verse.) For a while (under
>the direction of Fr Victor Lawson) we did a sung version from the
>psaltery
>with antiphonal response by the congregation. (I still have that book).

In my last parish for Evensong we sang the psalm and canticles to
Anglican chant without a choir.  I will admit I did provide pointing
rather than using the unpointed BCP with miniscule print. Plainchant is
technically easy, but a congregation will frerquently not get the rise
and fall of volume that there should be.

Roger