[Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 18:11:00 UTC 2015

Typically the lay person has to be sanitized when coming into the worship
space. They have to put on robes of some kind to show everyone that they
are not just lay people, but laypeople who actually have an approved part
in the actual service.
In my parish, we have for decades had a choir which did not vest.  It was
done with thoughtful intent, to dramatize that the choir is not some bunch
of pretend priests and priestesses, but real people.  Lately a rector
arrived on the scene who had not grown up in the Episcopal Church, and had
zero comprehension of the theology behind the decision. He just assumed we
had not been able to afford proper robes.
Several of us told him what was going on, but, like all true-believer
converts, he knew "best," and a new and equally ignorant group of
parishioners also suckered into the idea that the choir ought to be vested.
I hear they are still functioning. I miss some things, but one has to draw
the line somewhere.

The robe nonsense is buttressed by the number of folks who really want to
look like pretend priests.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford