[Magdalen] Psalm - Whither Goeth Thou?

Ferdinand von Prondzynski F.von-Prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk
Sun Mar 15 18:08:59 UTC 2015

Jim Guthrie wrote:

>Nearly everyone wants to keep the lights on, after all -- with an
>ever-shrinking
>number believing they'd rather shut their doors than do something other
>than
>"What we've always done."

In my experience, the really terrible thing is not those who do ‘what
they’ve always done’ (though sometimes that can be bad and lifeless), but
those who introduce something they regard as up-to-date but which reflects
musical and other tastes from their own youth, now long past and of no
interest to today’s youth. Folk Mass anyone? Not for me, at least.

There is absolutely nothing wring with traditional music, liturgy or
ritual if it fits the place and engages the people. When it doesn’t, it’s
bad. But I’ve come to realise that many young people actually regard
plainchant as rather cool.

As for TEC - my apologies, I was being facetious. I knew that. I just hate
it as an acronym. Indeed I don’t think any church should casually be known
by an acronym.

Of course, as everyone here will know, ‘The Episcopal Church’ is here in
Scotland. The US denomination is merely its child.

Ferdinand