[Magdalen] More Clergy DWI

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 13:45:51 UTC 2015

In the town I grew up in, population about 14,000, there were two
Episcopal churches, St. John's and Christ Church. Both were
located downtown (farms began at the outskirts, no suburbs
then). St. John's was founded before the American Revolution,
then abandoned, then re-formed as an American church (not
Church of England).

In nineteenth century, St. John's established Christ Church as
a mission. It was a gorgeous building (the whole town turned
out when it burned down in the late fifties/early sixties; my
mother took me along with her, saddest thing I've ever seen).
Christ Church was built next to the factories, which, by then
stood between the town and farmland. St. John's remained
low church, but Christ Church was very high and served by
clergy who were Oxford Movement all the way, called to
work among the poor. I am struggling to remember the name
of the rector, the only person I ever saw wearing a cassock
on the street, who, with the rabbi, shared the distinction of
being the most beloved men in town.

Now, about alcohol abuse in our particular branch of the
church, you've already read my rants about it, so I shall
not rant again. However ... the next time I hear the word
"whiskeypalian" I'll put on my disapproving grandmother
face. And the next time I hear that awful joke that ends
in "there's a fifth," I'll speak out. People stop telling jokes
when they get the clue that they're no longer funny.

My own experience is that alcoholics tend to find each
other this way. There's a code spoken that attracts them
and keeps them hoping. Alcoholism is a lonely life, and
finding like-minded folk who will practice along with you
and will include you must bring delight.
-M