[Magdalen] More Clergy DWI

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 17:30:35 UTC 2015

Back in the days when I was young and foolish (e.g., on the vestry), Dick
Grein, bishop of NY visited and we had a lunch. I happened to be sitting
near him and in the midst of a conversation, he observed, "You know if it
weren't for us and the Roman Catholics, there are parts of New York City
that would go down." Meaning that between TEC and the RCC, we were keeping
parts of NYC from failing utterly.

When I was going to seminary (another young and foolish moment), I remember
going by some TECs that had essentially embraced their ministry to their
neighborhoods as their raison d'etre.

I'm not saying this is what any parish OUGHT to be doing.  It's not for
everyone.  I merely observe that it does indeed go on for some.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford