[Magdalen] how to make a 'small' size graphic into pdf file

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 01:19:04 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM, Mahoney, W. Michael
<wmmah at stoneledge.net> wrote:
> I don't doubt that Brian is right.  However, churches and nonprofits can
> purchase the Microsoft Office suite at very low cost.  Publisher is part of
> the suite and works reasonably well for simple publications.

I'm not really familiar with Publisher (just the main applications in
MS Office), but our parish administrator has done our bulletins in it
for years and has produced beautiful documents with it. I saw one of
the files and my eyes glazed over, but I assumed the attraction for
him was the layout flexibility: there seemed to be blocks of content
that could be moved around similarly to Adobe PageMaker, which I used
a long time ago. But it also helped that he knew a lot about
typography and good design.

If for some reason I were to take over the bulletin-making, I'd want
to do it in MS Word, using styles and tables to format everything, but
that's me. I suppose an ideal application, for someone who knows it,
would be Adobe InDesign, which I think is the current successor to
PageMaker.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA