[Magdalen] More Clergy DWI

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 20:36:35 UTC 2015

Since I worked in psychiatric rehabilitation for thirty years, the subject
of ethanol abuse treatment came up quite often. Many who were themselves
twelve-steppers talked about how important it was to find a group that was
a good fit.

Some groups have a bias against taking any (any at all) medication.  They
tend to view any substance as a crutch, and will condemn it vigorously. We
steered our consumers away from those as much as we could.

Some groups had a religious overtone, and some had no religious overtone.
One twelve-stepper once took some time to explain that in the program, one
did not need to acknowledge God at all. Since he was a member and the
writer probably wasn't, I'm betting the writer just doesn't have the full
picture.  I have heard from many in AA over the years, and you'll find both
people of faith and people who are at least agnostics in the program.

I've sat in on a number of groups, and I think the problem folks have is
they overthink it.

"What is the secret of AA?"
"We help the person not to drink today."
"Yeah, yeah. Right -- Seriously, what's the secret of AA?"
"<sigh>"

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford