[Magdalen] More Clergy DWI

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Fri Mar 20 10:43:07 UTC 2015

> If something *works* for one person in 1,000, it is a success for that 1.

Not if the other 999 have been "sentenced" to AA and go out and get drunk and it
results in fatalities. Or even one . . .

Courts need to supervise, and professionals need to be assigned. I would say
that AA is probably good for people who join voluntarily and without
criminally-related matters due to their alcohol addiction, but it may well be an
utter disaster for those assigned to it from the court system.

I also suspect that given America's reliance on the automobile, judges tend to
be lenient in DWI cases, where they wouldn’t think twice about a long prison
sentence v an NA group for illegal drug use.

Cheers,
Jim