[Magdalen] More Clergy DWI

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 07:28:03 UTC 2015

.It may be that the idea of a program "working" or not working is just
wrong.

As Jim O said, measurement is of limited usefulness. It's about where
people find meaning and how they align their identities with new ways of
being. Can this really be generalised, and if so, in what way? Is there
value is allowing the narrative of the general to obscure the narrative of
the single or the few, aka "anecdote"?

There are so many metaphors and stories that can be brought into play to
assist, and as far as I can tell, AA is brilliant at doing this. The longer
they exist, the more stories are generated, both religious in tone (as many
find inspiration in that) but also non-religious.

Solution focused therapist Insoo Kim Berg wrote a book long ago called
"Working with the Problem Drinker" that I've always wanted to get. There's
also a "community based" approach that some people here are trying and that
seems to be a good fit for many.

In a complex, layered and divided society like South Africa it is difficult
to make AA groups work and theefore we don't have enough of them given the
size of the problem here.

Sallly D