[Magdalen] More Clergy DWI

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 15:20:38 UTC 2015

Another problem with AA is that the program attracts a lot of  attendees
who have substantial psychiatric problems.  I have listened to  endless
numbers of these types, and the Pavlovian response from listeners
is, "It'll work if you work the program"

This is pure crap.  AA is not designed to be a psychiatric clinic  for
the psychotic.  No amount of "working the program" will do this  type
of person any good until the impaired psychiatric aspects are also
treated.

David Strang.

In a message dated 3/21/2015 10:54:24 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

On Fri,  Mar 20, 2015 at 8:13 AM, Jay Weigel <jay.weigel at gmail.com>  wrote:

> IMNSHO, AA is damaged by judges who order DWI defendants to  attend
> meetings. The defendants don't want to be there, period, and  are often
> disruptive. AA is a program of *attraction*, not coercion,  and says so
> itself. AA has been too damn nice about taking these  people, and I
> understand why, but it's time they stand up and say "No  more!" If a judge
> wouldn't order someone found guilty of driving under  the influence of
pills
> or heroin to an NA group, then that judge damn  well shouldn't be ordering
> the same person found guilty of DWI to AA.  Send 'em to rehab, or send 'em
> to jail. That is all.
>
>  Grumpily,

Bingo!

Jim  Guthrie