[Magdalen] 2nd priest in SC returns to The Episcopal Church

Roger Stokes r.s.stokes.65 at cantab.net
Sat Mar 28 01:12:48 UTC 2015

------ Original Message ------
From: "Ann Markle" <ann.markle at aya.yale.edu>
To: "magdalen at herberthouse.org" <magdalen at herberthouse.org>
Sent: 28/03/2015 00:35:58
Subject: Re: [Magdalen] 2nd priest in SC returns to The Episcopal Church

>There is none I've met that are wiser than Charlie VonRosenberg. He's
>also
>very pastoral. I think if a priest wants to come back (thus
>automatically
>severing their ties to the schismatics (still think this is a good name
>for
>a band)), I think their commitment is pretty clear. Is there a way you
>know to test or ascertain, Roger? They don't need to drop their
>conservative views, or even their non-doctrinaire evangelical worship
>styles (I'm learning). If it seems they've prayed and discerned and
>sincerely want to return, I say we take them back. Hey, they may end up
>going to the Methodist or Pentecostals or something -- but I think SC
>has
>plenty of room for conservative (but committed) Episcopalian priests.
>Maybe they've heard how fabulous the new Episcopal bishop is.

I have no surefire way to test or ascertain commitment.  This always has
to be a question of judgement, and hence fallible.  However I think
Bishop von Rosenberg was wise to "release and remove" these priests
rather than deposing them. The language is far more pastoral and leaves
the door to reinstatement ajar rather than apparently firmly shut.  By
involving a process and other people there are some checks which in
themselves show it is not a tick box exercise, and that is important in
the sensitive SC situation. I am encouraged that there are other clergy
who recognize that the entity that presents itself as the Diocese of
South Carolina (the Mark Lawrence group) is not officially recognized as
part of the Anglican Communion.

Personally I remain grateful to Bishop von Rosenberg for allowing me to
preside and preach at Ginga's church last Fall, the first time I had
presided officially within TEC.  I had previously presided at a liturgy
that was basically according to TEC BCP in Rome but that was at an
international gathering of the Anglican faithful using a borrowed room
in an RC generalature.  I had also stood at the altar and assisted at
the National Cathedral but this was the first time I had presided at an
official TEC liturgy.

Roger