[Magdalen] Terminology query (was Re: speaking of downsizing...)

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue Mar 31 21:43:44 UTC 2015

On 31/03/2015 22:20, Lesley de Voil wrote:
> Yes, sometimes in Australia a bureau can refer not only to a covered
> writing desk, but also to a combination small (<5ft high) hanging
> wardrobe with an even smaller nest of drawers with a mirror over,
> incorporated  beside it. Both seem to be remarkably lacking in modern
> furniture emporia.

I would be more inclined to call that simply a tallboy. Looking up my
Concise English Dictionary I see it does note an American usage as a
chest of drawers.  I find that usage hard to reconcile with the
etymology from the French for baize which would be used on a writing desk.

Roger, somewhat tendentiously