[Magdalen] Fwd: Commonwealth Day.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon May 4 08:27:50 UTC 2015

On 04/05/2015 03:35, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> I didn't get any response on the Anglican Music List to this query, so
> maybe someone here knows the details/answers.
>
> ____________________________________

I can only offer a couple of guesses.  The first is that communications
within the British Commonwealth, successor to the British Empire, was by
sea which is ytaditionally (if rarely in fact) blue.

The second is that the Knights and Ladies of the GArter, the most
prestigious Order in the Commonwealth, wear cloaks of a very rich blue.
The Abbey copes (which I agree are ornately decorated) could be seen as
a reflection of that.

Finally, copes are the appropriate vesture fot such a service so what
colour should they be?  Black and purple would be inappropruate because
of their assocuation with penitence or mourning. Additionally the
service takes place in Lent so a colour other than purple marks a
difference from the colour of the season.  The other options would be
red, white and green which have their own symbolism.  In that context
decorated blue is a neutral option.

Roger