[Magdalen] TECnical question

Mahoney, W. Michael wmmah at stoneledge.net
Mon May 4 17:00:59 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 4, 2015 at 9:44 AM, Ferdinand von Prondzynski (sms) <
f.von-prondzynski at rgu.ac.uk> wrote:

> First, I dislike acronyms more generally. Acronyms are, amongst other
> things, a way of sustaining a protected community of insiders, who have
> the advantage over those who stumble upon their conversations and have no
> idea what they are talking about. Universities are amongst the very very
> worst offenders

Acronyms may well serve this purpose but I doubt that they arise for this
reason and I doubt that they are primarily used for this reason.  I have
some familiarity with the issue, having lived for 50 plus years in the
Washington, DC area.

Acronyms are used because they make communication easier.  They can be
confusing but careful speakers and writers will explain them when they have
reason to believe their audience requires such.

Note that some acronyms get "spelled out"; OMB and DoD are examples.
Others get pronounced as words; NASA is example.  My guess is that if "TEC"
ever came into common usage (and I hope it doesn't), it would be spelled
out.

Mike M.