[Magdalen] TECnical question

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Mon May 4 17:34:18 UTC 2015

On 04/05/2015 17:49, Jim Guthrie wrote:
> From: Roger Stokes
>
>> Don'y forget that the part of the Church over which Katharine
>> Jefferts-Schori has jurisdiction is closer to Scotland than it is to
>> New York.  I refer, of course, to the Convocation of American
>> Churches in Europe.
>
> In including all Episcopalians in South and Central America and
> Europe, Louis Crew figured the center of gravity as somewhere in Ohio
> IIRC.

My point is that the Presiding Bishop does not have direct jurisdiction
anywhere other than in Europe.  Even if she had wanted to the PB could
not have vetoed the election and consecration of a practising gay or
lesbian bishop.  If the person is elected and a majority of bishops with
jurisdication and of standing committees give their consent then
arrangements have to be made for the consecration.

That is why when the Primates met and agreed a moratorium on the
ordination of gay bishops and of seeking to destabilise other Provinces
of the Anglican Communion the Presiding Bishop could only promise to use
her best endeavours to that end.  The Primates of the Global South have
more direct authority and could have used it to keep their side of the
agreement.  Some chose not to and continued to sponsore breakaway groups
in the USA.

Roger