[Magdalen] Today's Google Doodle?

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Tue May 5 15:10:49 UTC 2015

On 05/05/2015 15:59, Grace Cangialosi wrote:
> Well, I still like "and also with you." I was sorry to see the RCC go back to the other one. It has always felt like a non sequitur to me.

It's all to do with stricter fidelity to the definitive Latin text and
never mind that in parts it is not good English.  The Anglophone
Episcopal Conferences agreed a new translation but this was rejected by
the VAtican to leave something that is decidedly clunky.  The Paul VI
era translation was decidedly thin in parts, partocularly what we call
the collects, and some extra richness of language was justified.
However the comments I have heard and seen are that this is translation
is clunky and difficult to celebrate with any real meaning.

Roger