[Magdalen] Today's Google Doodle?

Sibyl Smirl polycarpa3 at ckt.net
Tue May 5 17:13:02 UTC 2015

On 5/4/15 11:30 PM, Lesley de Voil wrote:
> Oh, I see. Grace was still in Monday when she asked! Christofori was yesterday!
> <Sigh> This dateline thing still trips me up after all these years.
> It is, after all, already Tuesday afternoon here.

Back when Gaynor McCartney was hanging out in #Anglican on dalnet IRC
chat with us, every day, even casual chat about gardening or cooking
could get really confusing, what with the differences in date, time of
day, and season of the year, not to mention the difference in Kiwi and
American English.  I changed computers, too, during that period, so I
kept a little international clock app on the new computer set to
Auckland time, which did help.  But then she'd talk of things like
"bottling" her homegrown peaches (when there was snow outside my window!
;^) ).  Was she cooking "peach nectar" from them?  (I don't know about
Australian English, but in the US, a "bottle" has a narrow neck, used
only for liquids, or possibly something tiny like capers).  Turned out,
that time, she was talking about the usual wide-mouthed "canning" jars
(which makes another bit of confusion or mental disconnect, when you
think about it: a "can" is a metal cylinder, but when you do home
"canning", it's almost always in glass jars, with wide mouths. Not
logical, even speaking American, but grooved into our brains on
automatic).  My brain could get surreal.  And we were both typing
English, near instantaneously!

The world may be ready for global communications, but I'm not sure that
the human brain is.

--
Sibyl Smirl
mailto:polycarpa3 at ckt.net