[Magdalen] Seeing the Gospels through a Jewish lens: An interview with Amy-Jill Levine - On Faith & Culture

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri May 8 04:57:44 UTC 2015

The christians really did no service to their cause.  Instead of reading
the sense of what Max said, they focused on a triviality of whether you
could call Paul a zealot or not, which was apart from the point being made.
 but it worked well. These folks kept saying Max was ignorant but never did
any of them actually present a basis for their allegation, and they
presented no sources.

Max was the straight-shooter, actually, but I suspect the others are so
inoculated with the assumption of christian privilege that they felt no
need to show why they said what they did.  The view of Paul is much like
the current viewing of David as more a thug than a monarch. (Not quite sure
how the humanity of Paul relates to Christianity) I think we can cut him
some slack, since a lot of good christians "knew" (and many still "know")
that Paul hated women, when all one had to do was read what the man wrote
to refute that.

I thought it was an unfortunate diversion from the discussion of how to
view Jesus through competent Jewish eyes. I've heard the good professor
speak, and she is very articulate and learned.  That is, she knows the
needed facts, has them at her fingertips, and she also is able to make her
position quite clear with minimum smoke and mirrors.

While she does speak in public, she will not generally speak to laity, I am
told. She has made some tapes for The Great Courses, however.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford