[Magdalen] Spring has Sprung.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri May 8 19:58:21 UTC 2015

Predictably, the USA Northeast seems to be having a spring
development very much like I was used to in the USA Upper Midwest.

IOW, there really isn't a spring at all, but rather a changeover from
late winter cold directly into summer with the heat and humidity
characteristic of the latter season.

This is too bad, because my favorite season here in the Pennsylvania
Poconos has been spring, characterized by gradual warming through
a couple of months following the winter chill.  This encourages a  wonderful
parade of flowering plants from daffodils and tulips through the  Asian
and native magnolias, Flowering Dogwood, early rhododendrons and
azaleas, and finally the broadleaf rhododenrons, various lilacs and
spireas.  I shouldn't forget the flowering cherries and crabs.

This year instead they have been blasted into flower by the 85 F
temperatures, and it's all over in a blink.

This week to boot, my single 24' Japanese Cryptomeria has gone
brown over 50% of its foliage.  I suspect my garden guy and his
heavy spraying with deer repellant.

Sometimes you just can't win.

David Strang - with air conditioners on.