[Magdalen] PB nominees

H Angus hangus at ctcn.net
Sun May 10 22:03:37 UTC 2015

I am in Breidenthal's diocese in Southern Ohio. I've heard people speak well of him. The only time I was actually in his presence was at a Diocesan Convention, and he had been the bishop of the diocese only a week or so.

Some contentious issues were brought up -- church splits and property was one, and abortion was another. I suppose he handled them as well as could be expected.

For the conservative people who wanted to leave and keep the property -- he simply sidelined and ignored them.

For a statement in support of "women's right to choose," we took a vote, and then another, and then another, because the votes were something like 184 in favor and 183 opposed. He finally said, fairly enough I thought, that while the final vote favored WRTC, he could not say that this was really "the consensus of the Convention."

I didn't much care for his end run around the conservatives (though probably most on this list would differ with me), but he was admittedly in a tight spot. Another member of my church explained afterwards that these matters were determined beforehand at meetings held before the Convention.

I have refused to attend Conventions since then, since it's like teaching a pig to sing (with me as the pig): It doesn't work, and it annoys the pig.