[Magdalen] 5 Easter sermon, was Baptism refused...

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Mon May 11 21:59:09 UTC 2015

From: H Angus

>Wow! Your poor great-great-grandma! What a grim legacy.

Why we don't believe in the "traditional family" mythology. She had five
children by my great great grandfather Blok, and the Handyman sired six more! My
mother met some of the Louewens when she was a little girl, but they pretty much
disappeared when they came of age.

The son who was my great-grandfather had the name Simon Peter Blok. He had the
ability to make up "Bible Verses" that sounded credible on the fly in either
Dutch or KJV-English. It was rare when someone knew enough of Scripture to call
him on any of this, but My great-grandmother, according to family lore would
often stop him mid-verse with a stern, scolding "Simon Peter!"

She died around 1941 -- saying "I'm tired and going to take a nap"and never woke
up. Simon Peter was staying with my family in NY -- the household the year
before I was born was my grandparents, my (then newly married) parents, Dad's
daughter by his first marriage, Simon Peter and Aunt Cornelia -- one of his
wife's sisters. Simon Peter died a few months before I was born, though Aunt
Cornelia stuck around to help my mother take care of me.

The house loaded up again in 1949, when Aunt Frieda and her two children were
expelled from China by the new government. Her husband, my Uncle Dyke (James D.
Van Putten) was an assistant U.S. Consul and stayed behind on the theory that
there might be American stranded who might need help. But he ended up in house
arrest the next three years until a Korean POW exchange sprung him.

Hew taught at Columbia U for a year, but in 1953, that branch moved out and back
to Holland Michigan, where he (and his son, later) were both on the faculty of
Hope College.

Aunt Cornelia and the other sisters lived well into their 90s -- Aunt Lizzie and
Aunt Annie.

Aunt Annie and Aunt Lizzie lived in the Holland Home on Fulton Street in Grand
Rapids, MI. Aunt Cornelia lived there about 5-6 months a year until she became
too frail to live with us even on a part-year basis.

They were all pretty feisty -- leading the battle against Holland Home men who
wanted pool tables in the basement rec room. The women all protested that the
Bible prohibited sinful Pool Tables. I got in trouble hearing that theology from
Aunt Cornelia at the dinner table by saying to her (about age 13) "Now Simon
Peter!"

My Mom and grandparents nearly fell out of their seats in laughter. Aunt
Cornelia didn’t think it was funny.

One other note on Aunt Cornelia that I've mentioned here before -- She was the
first woman to drive alone cross-country via the northern route through
Minnesota, the Dakotas Montana Idaho and Washington about 1906. She was selling
Bibles and Bible tracts (hence no room for additional passengers); the car was
powered by kerosene and she stayed with members of "Bible Believing" churches
each night -- sometimes for days at a time when she ran low on sales stock and
had to wait for the publisher in Chicago to restock her car from Chicago via
overnight express trains.

So things turned out okay, under the circumstances of being forced to marry the
religious zealot Handyman.

Cheers,
Jim