[Magdalen] UMC TV Ads

thedonboyd at austin.rr.com thedonboyd at austin.rr.com
Wed May 13 00:03:00 UTC 2015

The UMC includes as members both ardent Tea Party Republicans and equally ardent liberal Democrats, with the religious-right folks more ascendant than they were when my Methodist-minister father--a Social Gospel devotee who believed social justice was as important as personal holiness--was active (1930-1970).  Many Methodist clergy today are graduates of an evangelical seminary that claims a Methodist heritage but is unaffiliated with the UMC.  There are Methodists (lay, clerical, & episcopal) who view gay marriage as a social justice issue, but they are AFAIK way outnumbered.  I became an Episcopalian 55 years ago (then aged 23) because (a) I wanted and needed to be in worshipping communities that shared Holy Communion every week rather than once in three months, and (b) I could see the ascendancy of the evangelical know-nothings coming.