[Magdalen] UMC TV Ads

John R Robison friarjohn00 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 01:22:56 UTC 2015

I just had a heart to heart with a younger cousin about his ordination in the UMC. Both of hi parents are good "liberals." He's afraid of being trapped in a denomination dominated by a radical rump. The aren't a majority, per se, but are the largest faction. They also played a careful game to take control of key pieces of the polity.  For example, Bishops are named by a set of commissions that are formed by otherwise none acting bodies, policy wise that is. While everybody else was fighting in the Conferences and boards, the Rads were getting in place to name the Bishops. Combined with the skewing of the ages of many General Conference to well over 50, and a tendency for older, rural Methodists to be conservative, and the current ascendency in the UMC is well rooted.

I didn't have that much yo advise Nate.

Sent from my iPhone