[Magdalen] Decline of U.S Christianity

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed May 13 21:28:23 UTC 2015

>> I just think we're heading down the road to joint the Norwegians.

​>Just wondering if that is a good thing or a bad thing?

I think there's much to be said for the notion that religion has withered in
much of Europe and especially Scandinavia because the advent of a comprehensive
social welfare system has pre-empted much of the Gospel imperative. Thus
"church" and the good works we do become mostly or completely) irrelevant.

Add to that state support (through direct religious taxation as in Germany) and
churches themselves have no reason to look for membership, let alone individual
support.

Cheers,
Jim Guthrie