[Magdalen] Decline of U.S Christianity

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu May 14 02:08:50 UTC 2015

A lot of the "pentecostal" churches in the US at the present time are
(outside of the "recognized" denominations such as the Assemblies of God
and its African-American counterpart, the Church of God in Christ) either
Hispanic or non-denominational white or African-American, often poor
congregations.

A funny thing about the Roman Catholic parish where I used to live...for
years it was a stodgy little congregation, mostly made up of immigrant
Yankees, that didn't grow much. Then the Hispanics moved in, and oh, my! At
first they were mostly migrant farm workers and mostly male, but pretty
soon they started working in the local poultry processing plant, and most
of them were Catholic and needed a place to go to church, and the diocese
sent a priest who was bilingual. The next thing you knew, they brought
their families and there was a booming and vibrant congregation with a mass
at 5 pm on Sundays. Now the Hispanic congregation of San Patricio is bigger
than St. Patrick's Anglo congregation. There are some members of St.
Patrick's who interact with the Hispanic congregation: they teach English,
they teach citizenship classes, they work with the children's CDC and
women's health, but a lot of the other members ignore them. Basically there
are two parallel congregations. One is lively and one is boring as hell. I
used to enjoy going to the Spanish mass, mostly for the music, and I
understood enough Spanish to follow everything but the homily.