[Magdalen] Time for the Next Generation.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Tue May 19 13:28:59 UTC 2015

From: Cantor03--- via Magdalen

>this nearly ten years ago.  If Macy's has subsequently "gotten  religion",
>I wouldn't know because I no longer shop there.

The formula is determined by the carrying charge vs margin. On the very
expensive stuff, the cost of inventory for something that rarely sells (and as
you wrote earlier, younger people don’t care much for the material wealth thing
like boomers and their parents and grandparents) so the cost of capital
determines stock on slow selling items.

>Neiman-Marcus anyone?

You'll find that Neiman Marcus follows the same rule, though it's core business
is mostly different, and Macy's never has been a competitor of Neiman-Marcus's
ostentatious materialism.  Of course, that brings up the question whether a
liberal Christian would ever want to shop in a store marketing to the 1% in the
first place.

One may romanticize such stuff, but the reality is that these are businesses,
not museums.  If they act more like the latter, they'll soon be out of business.

(Not to mention that Wall Street looks at inventory turnover and a store that
carries lots of stuff that only sells occasionally will see their stock
hammered.

Stores with slow/no turnover will get hammered by Wall Street, and

>In any case, it's all gone now, given away to my grandchildren which  was
>really the point of the post.

You're lucky -- couldn’t find takers for this stuff among the nieces,  nephews
and cousins.  My older sister took bookcases and all the mystery novels she
could fit in her fan. At leapt **that** part of the stuff went to a good home.