[Magdalen] Upper Midwest Twang.

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Wed May 20 17:47:13 UTC 2015

David writes:

>It is fun to hear his rural somewhat nasal Upper Midwestern  twang/accent.

The accent reminds me of certain cousins in the upper Midwest, not to mention
the accents so rampant in Florida retirement communities with lots of expatriate
Wisconsiners Minnesotans  and Michiganders. . Western New York seems to have
some of that accent as well.

And then there was the pleasure of working with the management of Kohl's in
Menominee -- Everyone (all women) I had phone conversations with sounded like
Dwayne's mother on Prairie Home Companion.

Only their hobby did not include making me feel guilty, except when they'd send
out $4400 chargebacks for not getting the electronic Bill of Lading to them in
the prescribed window.

Cheers,
Jim

PS Remember the days when there were people with a good enough ear for accents
to tell what town or city you were from, not to mention neighborhoods in places
like Chicago and New York and Philadelphia (and even Boston!). When I was
working with Cuban refugees  I learned to differentiate among the five fairly
distinctive Cuban accents. I could tell them I thought they came from Matanzas
or Camaguey or Havana, and they were immediately my best friends <g>.