[Magdalen] for Christopher

Christopher Hart cervus51 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 12:19:11 UTC 2015

I believe that at one time consents were all done at General Convention and
consents by Standing Committees came later, but I can't cite the
exact history. Interestingly, the voting by bishops is the same in either
case, i.e. only bishops with jurisdiction have a vote, not the entire House
of Bishops.

My objection to the change made in 2012 is that the consent process at
General Convention allowed for a very open and frank opportunity to meet
and greet the bishop-elect and discuss any concerns, and all of those
charged with consenting got to see and hear the same things together. It
worked IMHO very well. I believe that we discarded a better process in name
of an unnecessary consistency.

Standing Committees working independently of each other, and possibly
responding to concerns raised via the Internet, will not generally be
sharing all the same information and/or perceptions about the bishop-elect.
There has been a proposal to develop some sort of virtual interview using
modern technology, but so far that has gone nowhere.

Christopher

--

Christopher Hart