[Magdalen] Something cringe worthy...

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Sun May 24 11:11:20 UTC 2015

Scott, I'm sorry you had to hear that. If said, it should never be done
nearby to anyone in attendance. Having just officiated at a simple, spoken
burial service without Eucharist yesterday, you've got me thinking about
the nature of our liturgy. Most priests are aware that there is a
"theatrical" component to liturgy, including very unholy concerns like time
factors, whether all the candles got lit, whether acolytes have on shoes
that flash lights when they walk, and whether or not anyone's hair or
vestments have caught fire. Weddings show this theatricality at its most
unattractive. But funerals are also a place where a good dramatic sense can
really make a difference. The right balance between solemnity and just a
dash of humor, for instance, is significant. I also think great dignity is
an appropriate way to mark this important occasion. I've done a lot of
funerals, as you know. I think I have a gift for it, and a great sense of
the privilege of it. There is definitely a sense of performance, and huge
fulfillment in "getting it right" for the person and the family. But to say
it in hearing range was regrettably tacky.

Just rambling away here on Pentecost. ..