[Magdalen] memorial Day

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon May 25 04:53:13 UTC 2015

Watched the national Memorial Day concert on the Mall, and General Powell
spoke.  He said very little, but I liked very much what he said.
Mentioning the vets who had permanent injuries from combat, he simply said,
"to honor all of our veterans please stand if you are able, and stand for
those who are not able..."

He was mixing with the wounded vets after the concert, and from the
interaction, it was obvious he was not just "going down the line."

When we were over in Desert Storm, he had our backs, dealing with all the
twits in Washington who wanted Gen. Schwartzkopf to just move, whether he
was ready or not.

Never sought the spotlight, but one of our better people.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford