[Magdalen] Ireland

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue May 26 17:27:18 UTC 2015

I'm wondering if the Irish vote with an amendment to the Irish  Constitution
resulting might influence the USA Supreme Court to cop out of
responsibility
by suggesting the same action here in the USA?

IOW would they likely refuse to settle the question and punt the ball
over to a general plebiscite?

If so, I suspect there would be a "no" vote in the USA.  As much  as
American public opinion on this matter has liberalized, I don't think  the
majority would be in the "yes" camp, at least quite yet.

Now, if the vote were limited to the 20-40 year old voters, we'd get  a
resounding "yes."

This brings up the whole question of justice by direct vote.  What  the
majority favors isn't necessarily what is just.  That is a major  reason why
we have the Supreme Court.

Any chance of any of the conservative justices retiring before Obama
finishes next year?

David Strang.