[Magdalen] Percentage of life during wartime.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed May 27 14:11:16 UTC 2015

In a message dated 5/27/2015 9:25:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jguthrie at pipeline.com writes:

So  participating I two wars has been common -- but three, maybe less
so.>>>>

Yes, but you'd rather expect this of career military personnel.

I should have made it clear that I was recalling the experience of those
who
were not career military but rather draftees which, after all, made up  the
bulk of those serving in the various wars with the exception of the  recent
Middle Eastern ("Southwest Asia") conflicts.  The military personnel  since
the end of the draft about 1973 have been entirely voluntary.

1973 was when the State of Wisconsin Board of Selective Service  Appeals
on which I served through the height of the Viet Nam War was  furloughed.

In any case most of these repeat draftees were not at all happy about  being
dragged into another war.

The impact of military service is very strong, at least with me, as I still
 have
periodic dreams in which I am told that my services are needed in  Germany,
and I close my practice and once again serve in the Army in  Frankfurt/Main.

David Strang.