[Magdalen] To renew or not to renew....

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Wed May 27 14:50:45 UTC 2015

My nursing license is up for renewal this year and I need to do it by the
15th of next month. I am of two minds whether to do it or not. I haven't
worked as a nurse since 2010 and I doubt that I will again, at least in a
paid capacity. There's always a slim possibility that I might be called on
to volunteer, but I haven't really made any efforts in that direction
either. Virginia now requires working nurses to complete a certain number
of hours of continuing education, and I haven't done that either, nor have
I kept my CPR/ACLS certifications up to date. I consider myself officially
retired. Still, the license is proof of something I worked very hard for,
even if I'm not using it now, and something that's part of my identity. On
the other hand, it's an expense I don't really need. It used to be possible
to file for an "Inactive" license, but that no longer seems to be the case.
I can't decide what to do......... Any thoughts, pubmates?