[Magdalen] End of an Era.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu May 28 16:59:49 UTC 2015

On 28/05/2015 17:46, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> Without ceremony, there was a simple statement by the Bethlehem (USA)
> Archdeacon this morning that as of 5 PM EDT, the DioBeth List  ("Bakery")
> will be no more, with Facebook being expected for ongoing diocesan
> communications.
>
> There was no discussion, simply a fait accompli.
>
> I joined that list more than 20 years ago in its infancy, and had found  it
> to be an excellent medium for communication of TEC information, and
> am especially sad that it is happening just before TEC GC.
>
> I don't quite see how Facebook will serve quite the same purpose,  especially
> the quick dissemination of important information.  But, then, I guess  I have
> to get more familiar with Facebook than I am.
>
> It's simply the 'March of Time".

I suspect that you are like me in that you don't log into facebook to
the extent that you look at emails.  People will also need to like the
particylar group and go to ut for news, which is not as convenient or
efficient.  Additionally an email can have an attachment, such as a
letter from the Bishop, whereas gacebook will mean going to a (hopefully
shortened) URL and will be slower.

Presumably the decision has been made by some comms guru who is on
Facebook and tweets all the time.

Roger