[Magdalen] Visiting suggestions

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri May 29 11:11:27 UTC 2015

In a message dated 5/28/2015 1:29:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com writes:

David,

As you may recall I am visiting the USA again this  year, including PA on
my itinerary.  The schedule has me driving from  Pittsburgh to Scranton
on Tuesday 18 June and from Scranton to Buffalo NY  onThursday 20 June.
What should I not miss while in the area, either  while in transit or on
Wednesday 17 June?  I assume 4WD will not be  necessary in June :-)

Roger>>>>

4WD will not be necessary in June!

I would recommend (1) Steamtown - a National railroad park area in  downtown
Scranton.  (2) The Nicholson Viaduct (the Tunkhanncok Creek Viaduct)
the longest concrete bridge in the world.  (3) The Lackawanna Coal  Mine
Tour
in Scranton.  (4) Eckley Miners' Village (Museum).

It's ordinarily a lovely time of the year, but there has emerged the  worst
outbreak of the Gypsy Moth infestation in at least 20 years in parts of the
 area.
This strips the leaves off the dominant oak trees.  In any case, the
mountains
should be at their best.  They are, as you know, the same mountains as  the
Snowdens and the Scandinavian Mountains.

If I think of anything else specfic, I'll send a note.

David Strang.

I'm sorry to say, I will be out of the area that week.