[Magdalen] Talk for St. George's Cathedral, All Saints Celtic service

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 18:34:06 UTC 2015

Wow, Mike - not surprised that's a memory to treasure!

I found Doug to be a rather difficult and spiky old chap but it was such a
privilege to hear from someone who had been close to CS Lewis and had so
many personal impressions of him.

Odd that the list's been taken over by conservative Catholic thinking. If
that had happened to Tolkien one could understand it (and perhaps it has) -
but Lewis? His thinking is Reformed through and through.

At the time, there was much debate on both those lists, especially Tolkien,
about the possibility (and, by consensus, undesirability) of making the
fantasy books into movies. "Fan Art" was OK - and often spectacularly
beautiful - but a movie was thought to be a step too far.

It does seem that with "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" the Narnia movie
franchise has run out of steam - unfortunately. But LOTR has made it in so
many ways.

Sally D