[Magdalen] Time is -- uh ....

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 00:27:47 UTC 2015

The UP/upper peninsula is the 'other' part of Michigan that is located
between the Lakes Superior, Michigan and the top of Huron and between the
state of Wisconsin to the west and  Canada to the east.

Isle Royal, almost to the Canadian Shore, in Lake Superior, is also part of
Michigan. It is reachable by plane, ferry and private boat and is a State
Park (famous for its study of wolves and moose). It is used for camping and
most people 'pack' in and hike various trails across or around the island
after they have been delivered by ferry or plane.  There are a few cabins
'for rent' at the main boat landing point which require reservations which
are sometimes doled out via a lottery system.

Mackinac Island is also part of Michigan and located in the northern part of
Lake Huron. It has no cars (with the exception of an EMC - emergency
vehicle) and although open year round sees most of it's tourist traffic in
summer and fall. People ride bikes there, and there are horse and buggy
'taxis'. There is a State Park there also in the footprint of a Fort from
the American Revolution and the French and Indian wars (IIRC).

Most of the UP is on Central time, but the counties that are closest to
Wisconsin are not.

Lynn

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck