[Magdalen] Michigan & the UP....Re: Time is -- uh ....

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 01:56:34 UTC 2015

From: "Grace Cangialosi" <gracecan at gmail.com>
> Lynn, how did the UP end up as part of Michigan instead of
> Wisconsin?https://yoopersteez.com/post/why-the-upper-peninsula-is-not-part-of-wisconsin

a quick look:
On June 15, 1836, President Andrew Jackson signed a bill that first
recognized Michigan as a state. However, Michigan would have to concede the
Toledo Strip to Ohio, but was given the western three quarters of the Upper
Peninsula in return (most of which borders Wisconsin along the Menominee
River).

At first, Michigan rejected the offer partly out of pride and feeling that
the Upper Peninsula was a worthless region. As their financial crisis
lingered on they would have been left out of surplus government money if
they had remained a territory rather than a state. Michigan accepted the
terms in December in Ann Arbor.

When the Toledo War ended it was considered that Ohio had "won". This belief
changed in the 1840s when it was discovered that the Upper Peninsula was a
vast region of resources including copper and iron ore. Considered to have
produced more mineral wealth than the California Gold Rush, the Upper
Peninsula supplied 90% of the United States copper supply by the 1860s and
was the largest supplier of iron ore by the 1890s.

Had Michigan won the Toledo War they would have acquire the Toledo Strip,
meaning that the Upper Peninsula probably would have become a part of the
Wisconsin Territory and later a part of the State of Wisconsin.

Michigan was finally admitted into the Union on January 26, 1837 as the 26th
state with the Upper Peninsula included.

..

Quite frankly, I'm pretty stoked that Michigan has the 16,452 square mile
paradise of the Upper Peninsula rather than the 468 square mile region of
the Toledo Strip. Clearly I'm biased, but I think we clearly got the better
deal.

All you history buffs out there let me know if there is more info I should
include.

website: www.ichthysdesigns.com

attributed to Erma Bombeck
by Richard Rohr