[Magdalen] Heather Cook

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 20:55:53 UTC 2015

I'm sure a lot of folks will agree with you, Ann.  I've seen some folks
ruined due to their addiction to ethanol.  In the Church it was subtle but
enormously devastating nevertheless.  The first minister I recall was an
alcoholic.  He was a proponent of AA, and managed to keep going and doing
the job well, despite some relapses. I didn't have any knowledge of that,
but my Dad spoke about it; he admired the fact that the man "fell off the
wagon," as Dad put it, and got right back on. It's a testimony to a
father's success as a parent when his son follows him into the same field.
This man's son also became an Episcopal minister. I noticed that he was
involved in Alcoholic counseling activities, and I saw a notice of his
retirement just a few years ago.

Where I really saw the impact was in the military, however.  I joined the
reserves a few years before they changed Army policy to eliminate ethanol
at all official functions.  We used to have an after action party at the
reserve center, and the XO was responsible for taking care of stocking and
tending the bar.  We had a huge metal box, like an over-sized footlocker,
in which our party supplies were locked up.
After  the ban, all that changed, and some guys who habitually were blotto
after every drill gradually wandered away.
I recall one time we were at SUNY, New Paltz for a language refresher
program, and were housed on campus (summertime). Two of the worst offenders
were in the middle of the street fighting, drunk as can be and still
stand.  The local police came.  The ranking officer took responsibility for
them, and there was talk about how these guys would have "some splaining to
do" when we got back to the center.  Nothing happened, but the ban came
through shortly thereafter.  Who knows? Maybe they helped start it.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford