[Magdalen] Canada's new government

Molly Wolf lupa at kos.net
Thu Nov 5 00:54:49 UTC 2015

The senior civil servants were treated like dog poop by the unlamented Steve.  The deputy ministers (the second in command and highest civil servants in their departments) actually met earlier this year to try to resist the government's politicization of the public service.  The public service will definitely be on side with the Trudeau government, especially since the ministers actually know their issues.

Canada used to have a superb public service. It's been worn down by years of budget cuts and right-wing contempt.  One of Trudeau's first acts was to reinstate the long form census, a critical function that Harper cut.  This bodes well and the DMs and other top wonks will be alert for more positive signals.

Molly

The man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. -- Mark Twain