[Magdalen] Canada's new government

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Nov 5 20:15:56 UTC 2015

On 05/11/2015 15:26, Marion Thompson wrote:
> I don't know how you people do it.  Our recent campaign was a record
> 11 weeks long, so l-o-o-o-o-ong, but the blink of an eye compared to
> the year-upon-year length of the American election system.  I have a
> fine bottle of Dry Sack here

Is there ever a time when the USA is not gearing up for some election
when you take into account the primaries?  Obviouslu there are
congressional elections every two years and,as we have seen in recent
days, elections on the in-between years as well.  Add to that the number
of posts they have to vote for and it doesn't surprise me that turnout
can be very low.  People are suffering from election fatigue.

Over the next few years I expect an election for the Police and Crime
Commissioner next year. This was an expensive development in the last
Parliament when you take into account the Commissioner's salary plus any
assistant Commissioners and their support staff compared with the Police
Committee consisting of local Councillors who had the same
responsibilities before. There could also be a referendum on whether to
stay in the European Union, or that might be 2017 instead.  2018 is a
year off before 2019 brings votes for the Mayor and Councillors,
followed in 2020 by the General Election.

Roger