[Magdalen] PRS 22 Pentecost

Kristin Rollins kristin at verumsolum.com
Thu Nov 5 20:46:58 UTC 2015

A couple of notes on the prayers related to us:

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015, at 02:20 PM, Lynn Ronkainen wrote:
> we give thanks as our sister Kristin begins the process of changing her
> name
> with various government entities (10/30)

That process hit an abrupt roadblock Monday morning after two hours of
waiting at the Social Security office. I was basically told "we can't
help you today," because my permanent resident card is still in my old
name. The only problem being that the only way I have have found to tell
Homeland Security about my name change is to request a new card in my
new name, a process which takes $450 (more than 11 times the cost of
actually changing my name) and, I believe, a few months. (I am not sure
if any document they will send me in the interim would suffice for the
SSA's purpose.)

Can't change the driver's license until the DMV can look up the new name
in Social Security's system. Can't change the bank account until I have
photo ID in the new name.

So next payday, we'll file that form for the green card. And at some
point, I will see about replacing my birth certificate (which is the
necessary prerequisite, unless the new government changes something, to
replacing my Canadian passport).

and…

> + For our animal friends. We pray...
> as the end of life draws near for Majesty (21), beloved cat of Kristin
> and
> Heather (10/27)

Last Wednesday (10/28) if I recall the day correctly, Majesty died in
the early morning. Because we have no real yard here that isn't cement
and being a rental, we took her to a pet cremation service for which we
have nothing but good things to say. When we returned Saturday morning,
her ashes were returned to us in a beautiful wooden box with an engraved
nameplate on the front. Their service was very sympathetic and they only
made one token effort to upsell beyond their basic service (and that for
an add-on that, I think, cost less than $20).

Esther -- I'm sorry, the Most Reverend Esther Gabriel Kittenpants, the
Archbishop of Catterbury -- seems to be adjusting OK. I think she still
wonders where Maj went sometimes, but does not seem terribly disturbed,
but sometimes just a little different from usual. But she is a cat of
routines, and this is the first time she has been the only cat in the
house, so it is not a surprise that she is missing some of those social
times (even though Maj would have preferred to be much less social than
Esther).

Kristin