[Magdalen] Coffee Hour arrangements (was Re: Heather Cook)

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 16:48:02 UTC 2015

There's a big church in Kassel which was flattened during the late
unpleasantness, and all that is left of the old building is the high altar,
which is now a peripheral wall in the back, yet preserved. The great
composer Heinrich Schuetz sang in the choir here as a boy.

The newer building is an orthodox cathedral type structure (quite large).
Kassel gets some fairly cold weather.

I suppose when they got heating bills over the top, they arrived at a
rather charming solution: They installed a small plexiglass cube in the
middle of the structure, and held their services inside this cube.  You are
in the huge cathedral still, but only a fraction of the volume is being
heated.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford