[Magdalen] Coffee Hour arrangements (was Re: Heather Cook)

Jim Guthrie jguthrie at pipeline.com
Sat Nov 7 17:10:00 UTC 2015

What I'm saying is there needs to be an overall look at the space and how it's
used, and how to consolidate it.

Coffee hour and other functions in the Nave may very well be a piece of the
puzzle, especially if it means no having to heat a huge amount of space
elsewhere such as in the parish hall.

I certainly would not get hung up like our Roman friends about what can and
can't go on in the nave or even chancel area.

How about a fold-out Rector's office or Church Secretary office -- sort of like
a Murphy Bed arrangement if the church itself remains heated (or air-conditioned
<g>) for multiple weekday services?

Then there are the expansionist uses -- like St Paul's Paterson tat dug out the
basement to create a homeless shelter beneath the church and use the parish hall
for a daily feeding program? I hasten to add they figured out how to do the
construction work mostly with government grants, as did Holy Apostles when they
remodeled after the fire. You may remember that while you were at GTS, the
Rector, Fr. Greenlaw was often derisively called  "Father Greenbacks" for having
pulled this off. I think he got about $4,000,000 to do it.

Cheers,
Jim

Cheers,
Jim